Dizziness, shortness of breath, fainting spells, heart racing. EKGs showing branch block, infarct. on sleeping normally EKG becomes normal. Causes ?

good morning, I have had 3 ekgs over the last 10 years showing incomplete right bundle branch block and antroseptal infarct. (my last on 2 months ago). I work an overnight shift which is when my symptoms show. I can feel my heart stoping, than racing to kick back to normal. this is sistered with dizziness, shortness of breath and fainting. However, when I have a week off and sleep normally, my ekgs come back normal ecg with sinus rythm with sinus arrhythmia. I am a 41 year old female.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It sounds to me like you have a stress induced cardiac arrhythmia. This is not uncommon and is due to the fact that when you get stressed out it makes the central nervous system more irritable predisposing to irregularity in heart rate.

As far as what I would recommend I think it would benefit you to have a 24 hour cardiac monitor which would help your doctor identify any changes in the rate or rhythm of your heart. That way he will have an idea of what he might be able to do to help you. Sometimes a low dose hemoglobin because derangements in these can lead to abnormal heart rates.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has been helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns i would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga