Dizziness, neck and back pain. Pain while lying down. Vertigo or kidney problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having dizziness/lightheadedness with right back pain in the kidney area. I am also having neck pain and lower lumbar pain in the spine area. Can you suggest what this could be might be? In addition, I notice that when i'm lying down on my right side it hurts. Also, if i lie down, I am no longer dizzy or lightheaded. The dizziness happens whether I am sitting or standing. I thought it was vertigo but with the right kidney pain happening...I am not sure!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the renal area could be due to a renal stone or hydronephrosis. An ultrasound examination of abdomen will help in determining the cause.
The vertigo is likely to be associated with the age related degenerative changes in your cervical spine- spondylosis.
Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising your posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking pain killers and anti vertigo medicines will be helpful. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.

Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral and cervical spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.