Discovered blood in semen after masturbating. Underlying cause?

Question
I discovered blood in my semen after masturbating. 77 years old.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Good Day and Thank you for being with Health care Magic!

Blood in the semen or medically termed hematospermia is a very distressing symptom. Most cases (70-80%) are self-limiting meaning will go away on it's own without any other sequelae. Most common causes are prolonged sexual abstinence, traumatic or rough masturbation, and rigorous sexual intercourse. Other causes would be infection (e.g. STDs, prostate cancer. Prostate cancer can cause REPEATED blood in the semen and is usually associated with Constitutional symptoms (e.g., weight loss, night sweats, fever, chills, bone pain).

I would suggest consult with a Urologist so he can do a digital rectal examination to check on your prostate. I would also suggest getting a urinalysis and a Kidney Urinary Bladder ultrasound.

I Hope I have answered your question and best wishes.