Difficulty to swallow food. Diagnosed with GERD. How long will it take to get cure?

Nov 2013

Hello Doctor,
I am having a problem in swallowing solid food for the past 2 days (Neither I am able to swallow nor spit and it gets struck until i drink water to get the solid food go into stomach). I am able to take liquid food (water, juice, tea etc).
I have consulted the doctor(Gastroenterologist) and undergone endoscopy and found that I have XXXXXXX gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)".
Doctor has given the medicine "APO-Rabeprazol 40 mg tablet" and "Itoprid PMCS 50 mg" for 10 days.
Can you please let me know how severe it is and how long it will take to cure completely? What type of food i can have now to rectify this problem?
Will it create any major problem in future?
Do I need to undergo for any surgery?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

GERD usually does not lead to inability in swallowing. The common symptoms include acidity, pain behind the chest, indigestion, etc. In some cases, there may be pain while swallowing, but the person would still be able to swallow.

Also, other obstructive causes of food pipe (esophagus) which can lead to difficulty in swallowing have been excluded, as the endoscopy did not show any problem as such.

The neurological causes should also be looked into, as the swallowing muscle weakness can lead to similar problems.

If it is GERD, you should soon improve in a few days.

On the other hand, if you do not improve, or if you develop new symptoms such as problem in speaking, double vision, drooping of eyelid, etc, then you should consult a neurologist.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) CMC Vellore XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad