Did oral sex with herpes 2 infected partner. Blood test came negative for STD. Painful urethra and red mark on penis.

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, about eleven weeks ago I was in contact with a girl who has herpes type2. She kept her underwear on but gave me oral sex and also was rubbing up against my naked penis however her underwear was always on. She didn't tell me till after the event that she had herpes. I had no stds previously and did a blood test at 3 weeks which came back negative for all std's. I also had a previous physical inspection and no signs were found. However last sunday I woke up with a painful urethra and a red mark on my penis head, the red mark subsided within 48 hours and left a tiny bit of dead skin that came off in the shower leaving no evidence it was ever there. Now there is some slightly shinny patches of skin, that does not seem to be full of liquid of any kind just slightly shinny patches of skin hard to notice. The other thing to mention that whilst playing soccer on Saturday I was accidentally kicked in the groin, it hurt at the time was reasonably hard but caught the end of my penis in fact the very tip and really the area that is painful now. I didn't look at it at the time and only really looked Sunday morning once the pain started and I noticed the red mark...

Should I be concerned about this for reasons reasons related to herpes? I was planning on getting a twelve week blood test shortly and is scheduled by my primary care doctor.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

As per your query, you received oral sex from a herpes 2 infected woman (that was 11 weeks back) and then got tested 3 weeks later which showed negative blood results. Last Sunday (10 weeks from possible contact) you had painful urethra and red mark on your penis tip. Also around the same time you hurt your groin whilst playing soccer.

Transmission of genital herpes does not actually require genital penetration, and it can be transmitted even when there are no visible sores. Sexual contact may include a nongenital sore contacting a genital target. In other words, herpes may be transmitted from the source partner's mouth to the other partner's vagina, or from mouth to penis, penis to mouth, finger to penis, penis to anus, or any other combination.

Herpes 2 virus (HSV-2) transmission is more dependent on genitals than gender. What I mean by this is that contact by the penis with either the vagina or rectum is where the greatest risk of transmission occurs. Oral sex is more of an issue for HSV-1 transmission — from mouth to genitals, and indeed, HSV-1 is a fast-growing cause of genital herpes. Oral sex, though, is not much of a risk for HSV-2, since HSV-2 oral infection is rare and shedding of HSV-2 from the mouth is extremely low.

About one-fifth of all people aged 12 and up in the U.S. are infected with the HSV-2 virus that causes genital herpes, but as many as 90% don't know it.

More women than men are infected -- one in four women compared with one in five men. One reason may be that the virus can infect a woman's genitals more easily than it can a man's. The more sex partners people have, the more common it is, too.

I would recommend you to get tested at 12 weeks for peace of mind. Do take not of any sores or itching, tingling or pain in your genital region and report that to your doctor. The soccer injury might have got your attention to the penis region.

Please take precautions when having sex with multiple and unknown partners.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor