Did not get BCG vaccine. Child 2 years now. Does it protect from leprosy? Should I get the vaccine now?

I have 2 daughters one is 4 months and one is 2 years. The 2 yo was born in USA and the 4 month old in Brazil. I did not get the BCG vaccine for my 2yo because her Dr. in the USA said I should not let them give it to her, that it is not effective. Here in Brazil they would not let me vaccinate my baby at all unless she got it, so she had to get it. They say it protects against leprosy and TB. I knew it was for TB, but when I research it I find that the efficacy of the vaccine for pulmonary TB is low, but for menigitis TB it is effective- is this true? Also, does it really protect against Leprosy? Should my 2 year old and I take this vaccine?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 24 days later

The prevalence of TB is more in Brazil. It is strongly advised to vaccinate both of your children against Tuberculosis if you are going to live in brazil.

It is true that the efficacy of BCG is less against pulmonary tuberculosis and more against severe forms of TB like TB meningitis.
The percentage of protection BCG vaccination offers ranges from 0 to 85 %.

Same group of bacterial species called Mycobacterium causes tuberculosis and Leprosy. However, the efficacy of BCG vaccine against Leprosy is questionable.

Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.