Diagoned with Hepatitis c. Is it okay to take injections? Should wait for oral medications?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My brother who is around 33 yeard old was diagoned with Hepatitu c with 160 million virol load ..when he contacted to one of XXXXXXX doctor he asked him to start get inhections weekly for 6 months..can you please suggest me if these injectiosn are ok to take or he can wait till new oral medication is avilable ..
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

I am sorry to hear about your brother's illness. At the moment Injections of Peg-Interferon along with Ribavirin tablets is the treatment of choice. So it is fine for your brother to start these injections. There are two types of genotypes prevalent in India genotype 1 and genotype 3. For GT 1 twelve month treatment is needed with expected cure of about 50%, for GT 3 six month treatment is needed with expected cure rate of 70-80%. Hence depending on the genotype the response is atleast 50% with this therapy.

Oral treatment is expected in next two three years. But this treatment is going to be exceedingly costly.

Hence in my opinion he should go ahead with injection treatment without waiting for oral therapies. In case he fails injection treatment then he can wait for oral treatment.

Best Wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Diagoned with Hepatitis c. Is it okay to take injections? Should wait for oral medications? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot for valubale suggestion ..
Can you please tell me how serious this ilness is and how long it can take to make any damage to human 's body ..
My brother does not have any symptoms yet..
However i will ask him to start these injections asap..
Thank you very much again
Regards, XXXXXXX USA

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

This disease is very slowly progressing. Usually can take 15 to 20 years to progress and completely damage the liver. Associated factors like diabetes, obesity, alcohol can enhance the damage process and increase the rate of damage.

I think he should start the injections.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Diagoned with Hepatitis c. Is it okay to take injections? Should wait for oral medications? 3 minutes later
THanks sir ..
Sir one more question ..

can you tell me what all tests should be done to chekc if liver is ok at this poit of time..
he got tested for the following recently:
SGPT:298
SGOT:160
Total protien:8.6

I will like to get tested his lever to see if this is ok ..if you can recommned some tests whic can be best to know status of lever..
i will apreciate your answer ..

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

I am sure your bother's doctor must have got all the tests done.

In any case he should get the following done:
LFT
Prothrombin time
Fibroscan
Haemogram
Upper GI endoscopy
HCV genotype

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Diagoned with Hepatitis c. Is it okay to take injections? Should wait for oral medications? 8 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor .. you have giveb me alreday enough information..
I only had some concers about side effect of these injections as i came to know through google that they can have severe side effect lik on heart and in blood..

If you give me some informaiton about side effect ..it will be great help ..
and one more question at last ..can you treat him in delhi if possible.

Best Rgeards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

Yes Interferons do have some side-effects. However, 80% of patients will tolerate it quite well, without much problem. Commonest side-effects are fever, fatigue, depression. Others are fall in haemoglobin, white blood cell counts and platelet counts. But do not worry all these can be managed easily.

Yes we can treat him in Delhi.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Diagoned with Hepatitis c. Is it okay to take injections? Should wait for oral medications? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr.
Can you let me knwo process to XXXXXXX you in daily ..i will like my brother is treated under your supervsion so that all required monitoring of virus and sideeffect could be done ..
Let me know how soon he can XXXXXXX you ..he has got done most of the tests alreday but 1 or 2.
So these can be performed in your hospital..
Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

He can visit my hospital in Delhi which is Pushpawati Singhania Hospital (PSRI Hospital), located in Sheikh XXXXXXX phase II opposite XXXXXXX Court. I am there Mon to sat from 9 am to 2 pm.

Best wishes

Dr Dinesh Singal