Diagnosed with right parietal ring enhancing lesion, cysticercosis and a case of seizures. Medicines for how long?

I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Right Parietal Ring Enhancing Lesion and Cysticercosis and a case of h/o seizures. This happened in September 2011. However the seizures have not repeated since. I am currently on Oxetol 300 mg (morning) and Oxetol 450 mg (night).
I would like to know:
(a) for how long do I need to continue these medicines, as the seizures have not repeated after that particular time
(b) are there any side effects of taking Oxetal for too long; if so what are the symptoms
(c) are there chances of seizures occuring again if I stop taking these medicines

Thank you in anticipation
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

The drug Oxetol contains active ingredient - Oxcarbazepine. It works by preventing the excessive electrical activity in the brain; which is occurring in your case due to cysticercosis.

Let me clear your doubts stepwise.

a) Anti-epileptic drugs can be stopped if you remain seizure -free for period of 2 years. After two years, you need to reduce dose slowly at the rate of 10% every 2-4 weeks. Seizure activity needs to be monitored during drug withdrawal and thereafter. If it recurs, we may need to continue it for some more time.
A seizure free period of 2 year is a must before withdrawal.

b) Side effects of oxetol:
The drug has various side effects as described below.
1] Dizziness, drowsiness, blurred or double vision, fatigue and may cause headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
2] Hyponatremia appearing as extreme fatigue. So keep check on your sodium levels at regular intervals.
3] Skin sensitivity to sunlight also may increase, and patients could experience severe sunburns.
4] It decreases effect of oral contraceptive pills. So along with oral pills, one has to use other measures of contraception.
5] It is teratogenic. Oxcarbazepine should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

Since you are on this drug for a long time, I do not foresee you to develop these side effects now. If you are planning for family, I would suggest you to wait.

Long term side effects of oxcarbazepine are rare - Though some people can develop depression, osteoarthritis and suicidal thoughts. Please review with your doctor, if you have any mental disturbances.

c) Yes, since there is a structural lesion (the cyst) there are chances of seizures occurring again if you stop drug. But recurrence is less likely if you are on regular medication and after seizure free period. However it is important to be cautious every time.

I hope I have cleared your doubts. I shall be happy if you have any other doubts.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam