Diagnosed with jaundice. Test done for hep B and C and LFT. What does the value suggest?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi sir,i was diagnosed jaundice 5 months before..did a hep B and C test..turned out negetive then...lft was...bilirubin 5.4,sgot and sgpt above 1500. i took ud liv 100 bd..after 1 month sgot/sgptcame down to 80 and 60,BIL-3.fifteen days back did a LFT ...bil-1.25,sgot 150 sgpt 231.i saw a gastroenterologist he advised me hep A nd E tests to rule out viral cause...those were negetive...i had been on GolbiSR 400 tid and a costly hepatoprotective(700 for 15 tabs..sorry i dont remember the name)..he ordered me to do tests for autoimmune hepatitis.alpha1 antytrypsin XXXXXXX ant ism ab,ceruloplasmin,ser ferritin and lots after 15 days..that is yesterday i did a new LFT...bil-0.88,conj bil-0.28,sgot-63,sgpt-120......plz tell me wats the problem...should i go for all those costly tests...or is it just viral hepatitis which has been cured off...bcoz the test for hep A which i did ,had not been specified igM or igG...i did it at SRL labs.
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 5 hours later

Many thanks for the posting your query...

I have gone through the details. Your liver function tests seem to be progressively improving and reached a near normal state now and the viral markers seem to be negative. You are also on a very non-specific treatment for the same.

As the liver functions are not progressing, if I were to be your treating doctor, I will not suggest getting the above prescribed tests done now. I would wait for one more month while continuing the present medication and then repeat liver function tests to decide on further course of action.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with jaundice. Test done for hep B and C and LFT. What does the value suggest? 10 hours later
Thanks sir for your reply,1) the viral marker for hep a igM was negative...could it be possible that i have viral hepatitis which has weaned off...bcoz igG tests signify the chronic course of disease..i am not alcoholic neither there is any family history of wilsons..or autoimmune disease...then what could be the cause?2)you have told that i am taking nonspecific medicines...can u please specify any medicine..and what diet can i have..i am on a zero oil diet with no dairy or animal products...the doctor though has asked me to take normal diet
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 52 minutes later
Dear ...

As all the viral markers are negative and with no history of alcoholism and with progressive improvement in liver function, i will not be too worried finding out the cause. The cause needs to ascertained when there is deterioration of liver function or lack of improvement.

Diet can just be normal and there is no need to avoid any food. You can continue on the present medication as there are no other specific medication for your ailment. You please report again if you are not getting better.

Dr.P.Radhakrishna MS.,MCh
Consultant Surgical Gastroenterologist