Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. T3 and T4 level were 16.7 and 41.9 pmol/L. Prescribed Propranolol and Carbimazole. Safe?

Question
I am a 29 year old woman recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. T3 and T4 level were 16.7 and 41.9 pmol/L respectively and TSH was 0.01mIU/L. The same blood test revealed negative pregnancy.
My doctor prescribed Propranolol and Carbimazole and described me they are category C for use in pregnancy. So he advised me not to fall pregnancy until it is cured.
I am very eager to have baby. Are there other safe medications to control my symptom and not affecting pregnancy?
Also, the blood test was on 18th XXXXXXX I had sexual relation on 7th, 9th, 10th and 12th. I predicted m ovulation was on either 8th or 9th according to 'body temperature graph". Today was the first day of my period. So I used urine pregnancy test which showed faint positive line. Should I do another blood test?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
There are only two drugs the carbimazole/methimazole and propylthiouracil for hyperthyroidism which take about 1-2 years to control the problem fully.
Both are contraindicated in pregnancy.
The adverse effect of propylthiouracil are more.
You should repeat the pregnancy test in one week time.
You must avoid pregnancy till on treatment.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. T3 and T4 level were 16.7 and 41.9 pmol/L. Prescribed Propranolol and Carbimazole. Safe? 15 hours later
Thank you Dr for your advice.

I may be overworried person. But I did another urine test this morning and it showed faint positive line within 3 minutes. (today is my second day of missed period)

I am concerned as I am taking Carbimazole and Propranolol.

Should I stop taking these medications now? and What adverse effects do these medications may have on fetus?

How long does it take for HCG quantitative test to be positive after conception?

Also is having hyperthyroidism increases risk of miscarriage?

Can you answer these questions?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Propanolol can be taken but antithyroid medicines have negative impact, They can cause liver damage in mother/fetus or both, goiter and even cretinism and lack of brain development in fetus, malignancy risk and possibility of death is also there in fetus.
The quantitative hCG is tested in blood and is positive by the time you come to know about the missed period and is much more reliable.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. T3 and T4 level were 16.7 and 41.9 pmol/L. Prescribed Propranolol and Carbimazole. Safe? 46 hours later
Hello Dr Thank you for your reply.

My last questions are

If you suffer from hyperthyrodism, does it lower the ability to ovulate? And can it also increase chances of miscarriage?

Also, what can be the consequences of untreated hyperthyroidism?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXX...,
Welcome back to Health care magic.
The hyperthyroidism leads to excess release of thyroid hormones and these hormone affect the sexual hormone equilibrium and so can lead to menstrual irregularities and ovulation problems as well.
If the disease not too much then it would not cause abortion per se and some hyperthyroid patients have improved thyroid function while they are pregnant.
It is due to immune modulation effect of placenta.
The hyperthyroidism should always be treated with regularity because it may at times lead to crisis called Thyroid storm when one gets very high BP, cardiac rhythm disorders and may become unconscious, it carries a high mortality rate.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.