Had endometriosis and conceived late. Diagnosed with hypothyroid and took thyroup. Had missed abortion. Suggest?

Mar 2016

I had a problem of endeometriosis and was not able to conceive for 15 years after my marriage , Now I am 40 years old but in XXXXXXX 2013 i conceive naturally for very first time. but during pregnancy i was diagnosed with hypothyroid , the range was 13.64, after that my doctor had prescribed me with medication for 100 micro mg of Thyroup tablets. By 20 days course my thyroid came to 8.94. But unfortunately I has missed abortion as the fetus was not having any cardiac activity on 11th week of pregnancy. Please guide me as the Hypothyroid was the reason for the missed abortion. and what precaution i should take for future for hypothyroid before conception.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Hypothyroid Can Cause Missed Abortion.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX I am so sorry to hear about precious pregnancy loss.

First thing, your serum TSH level is too high as per test result & it is consistent with hypothyroidism. Normal range is 0.5-5 mIU/L without any symptoms and 0.4-4 mIU/ L under treatment. It should be treated properly before conception/ pregnancy to avoid certain risks and complications.

Yes, hypothyroidism can cause missed abortion. First trimester is most crucial for fetal organogenesis but your TSH level was not under control. So, risk of miscarriage was there.

Several studies have showed adverse fetal and maternal outcome. It can cause early week miscarriage, pre-eclampsia, anemia in pregnancy, abruptio placenta, postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) etc. Some fetal complications like low birth weight, premature birth, respiratory distress, cretinism (with low IQ) are also observed.

Thyroid function should be normalized before conception and it is a mandatory criteria for healthy pregnancy and baby. It takes time to become normal with above treatment (Thyroup) and you will make a plan for next pregnancy after 2 months. In this time, you must take folic acid and vitamin E, B complex supplements to avoid NTD (Neural Tube Defect) of growing fetus in early week.

In addition, you need to avoid certain food stuffs like cabbage, broccoli, turnips, rutabaga, mustard greens, XXXXXXX spinach, Brussels sprouts, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes, cauliflower, millet. You will take iodized salt and above medication with appropriate dose as per your doctor's recommendation.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen