Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Liver enzymes elevated. Asked to take hepatitis test. Related? Why?

Question
Hello. I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. My liver enzymes were slightly elevated. The nurse practioner wants me to take a hepatitis test. What does this mean?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Raised liver enzymes can be caused by liver disease, Hepatitis, gallstones, Diabetes, Pancreatic disease, kidney failure, alcohol misuse, certain prescription drugs, certain herbs and supplements or taking very high amounts of supplements.

In your case the nurse must be suspecting Hepatitis as most likely reason in your case. Getting yourself investigated will help in finding out the cause of raised enzymes and will help in early treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Liver enzymes elevated. Asked to take hepatitis test. Related? Why? 2 hours later
So hyperthyroidism would not harm my liver?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Hyperthyroidism itself does not cause liver dysfunction. Rather dysfunction of liver can decrease the metabolism of thyroid hormones in the body thus increasing their levels causing hyperthyroidism.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Liver enzymes elevated. Asked to take hepatitis test. Related? Why? 1 hour later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
You are most welcome.
You can ask any number of follow up queries in future related to any health problem.