Diagnosed with endometrial cyst. Having abdominal pain. Taken lupride depot. Need suggestions on MRI guided ultrasound surgery

Hello Dr, I have been diagonised with endometrial cyst in the right ovary of size 3cm accompanied with abdominal pain.I am married and have 2 year old child. I was given a dosage of lupride depot 3.75 mg 3 months back, after which the cyst size had reduced to 1.2cm and had no pain was observed after the dosage.But of late, I have the abdominal pain again.I was recommended for a laparascopic surgery of cyst removal in case i have the abdominal pain again.Having heard of MRI guided fully ultra sound surgery, I would want your suggestion if the cyst removal can be treated with MRgFUS and the risk factors involved if this procedure is feasible.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am happy to know your awareness about the advances in medical technology. At the moment, FDA has approved its role in Uterine Fibroids and Adenomyosis of uterus. This is an option that you may want to explore for your own self.
If one has only Adenomyosis ( endometriosis , as in your case) MRI guided focused Ultrasound treatment may be an option.
The risk factors of above method are :
It may increase the level of FSH Hormone in your body, which may cause difficulty in getting pregnancy.
Availability of facility and experienced doctors are lacking at present.
As it is a new procedure, beneficial effects are not well studied, especially after adenomyosis. Also, since its one of the latest technologies available, it should be considerably expensive.

In your case, first thing, you must consult Doctor to make sure that reason for your abdominal pain is your ovarian cyst only. The advantage of doing laproscopy, in case you have endometriosis is that, doctor would be able to cut all adhesions, and any other endometriotic lesion, which is not always possible in the ultrasound method. There is medical treatment also available for Endometriosis.
The treatment of Endometrial cyst depends on the many other factors like your symptoms, fertility issues, desire to have children etc
You must also discuss this with your gynaecologist. If there is anything else you wish to discuss, please share your symptoms and other investigations that have been done for you.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.