Diagnosed with diabetes and very high sugar level. With medicine and exercise reduced a lot. Is it reversible?

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 1 1/2 month back with sugar level 220/340. I started medication and regular exercise and post 3 weeks results were 89/120

the medication still continud by the specialist

Just wanted to check if diabetes can be reversed completly

and can I include toned milk in my diet.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes is a chronic manageable condition.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Overt diabetes is not a reversible condition. It is a chronic manageable condition.
The pathology lies in the deficiency of insulin secretion from the Beta cells of the pancreas.

You have responded well with lifestyle modification and metformin. This indicates that you have high insulin resistance.

With such young age the diabetic complications are likely to happen earlier if the blood sugars are not well controlled.

My advice would be that you continue exercise, diet and metformin. Check your blood sugar every month and HbA1c every three months and visit your doctor regularly.

Toned or skimmed milk is low in fat and high in potassium and good for diabetes. You may have 200 ml of it per day.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.