Diagnosed with diabetes. Found mass on pancreas. Scan done. Suspected for cyst. Any suggestion?

Jan 2013

My dad has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. They have taken blood and referred him for a scan which was done with 10 days. His normal doctor was on leave, but another doctor called him at 6pm last Friday to ask him to go and see him there and then. He said there was a mass on his pancreas that needed to be investigated and is referring him for another urgent scan. He is still waiting for the appt,but today saw his normal doctor who said it was something suspicious on his lymph gland. Obviously these are 2 different stories, but presumably mean the same thing. They have said it could be a cyst, but to me I don't think it sounds good. What do you think? Thank you
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
1) Kindly answer the following details:
a) Is there any history of weight loss, abdominal pain?
b) Abdominal pain is mild or unbearable.
c) Any mass palpable on abdominal examination.
d) Is he smoker and alcoholic?
2) Diabetes at the age of 69 with a suspicious mass in pancreas is highly suggestive of Panacreatic Carcinoma.
3) CT scan/ MRI is sufficient for making difference between cyst and mass.
4) You should go for CA 19-9 marker, very specific for pancreas. If mass is originating from lymph nodes, then this will remain normal.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabetes. Found mass on pancreas. Scan done. Suspected for cyst. Any suggestion? 12 hours later
He has had weight loss, but no abdominal pain or any mass palpable on abdominal examination. He is not a smoker or alcoholic. Also, I now understand that the mass is just beow the pancreas, rather than on it.

Also, please could you explain what point number 4 means.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 minutes later
1) History of weight loss also suggest some cancer.
2) Mass above/ below the pancreas can be confirmed by CT/ MRI scan and pancreatic carcinoma may expand in any ways, mostly on the front aspect.
3) CA 19-9 is a tumor marker specific for pancreas. This rises in pancreatic Carcinoma and pancreatic cyst. But never in lymph node mass.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava