Diagnosed with cervical polyp. Is intercourse safe without condom?

My ladyfriend over age 60 has a benign polyp. Is it save to have sex without condoms as before?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

You referred your ladyfriend has a polyp. This depends on where the polyp is located. I need some more information from you in order to give you proper recommendations.

First - Is the polyp a colon polyp or a cervical polyp? Also, was the polyp removed?

Thanks again for your query. I await the additional information from you and then I will follow with some helpful recommendations.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Diagnosed with cervical polyp. Is intercourse safe without condom? 1 hour later
The begign polyp was cervical and hospital stated that no further action was required so it wasn't removed.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Thanks for the followup.

As long as she has had a normal pap smear and is negative for the virulent strains of HPV there is no concern regarding unprotected sex. The polyp will be monitored over time with subsequent vaginal examinations.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns or need clarification please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga