Diagnosed with breast cancer. Developed a pain in my upper back rib area. Treatment?

Four years ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer of the left breast, it was very near one of my ribs. About four months later I developed a pain in my upper back rib area. That pain has persisted to this day and it becomes unbearable of a night when I am laying down. Sometimes even Endone does not help the pain. (I have this drug as I have had four back operations and when the pain is bad I take one of the tablets.) The pain in my back ribs hurts when I breath in. It has become very debilitating. I am 67 years of age, and do not smoke and only have the occasional drink. I am reasonably healthy aside from lower back pain.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The first thing to do I suggest is to have a chest X XXXXXXX done. This shall be very important in ascertaining the integrity and structure of the ribs and the thoracic cavity. Breast cancer at times, even with adequate early treatment, could migrate or metastase. detecting an excluding this possibility early in the management course of our patients is always very important.
I suggest you continue with the morphine, but getting a complete reevaluation from an oncologist/genycologic oncologist for a complete examination, chest X XXXXXXX and other deemed necessary exams could be of great help.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.