Diagnosed with blocked fallopian tubes. Remedy?

Infertility Specialist
I was told by doctor that my fallopian tubes are blocked. Is there any remedy for this?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

Fallopian tubes are important to carry egg (ovum) from ovary to uterus. Blocked fallopian tubes lead to infertility ( cannot have children) as ovum cannot come to XXXXXXX sperm and fertilize.

CAUSES for blocked tubes could be:

1) Infections: Tuberculosis is most common infection to cause blocked fallopian tubes.

2) Pelvic inflammatory disease: Due to any cause or organism, this leads to blocked tubes.

3) salpingitis isthimica nodosa

4) Polypoid lesions in fallopian tubes.

5) Endometriosis between uterus & fallopian tubes.

1) Hysterosalpingography (HSG) is a simple test for diagnosis of tubal block.

2) Diagnostic Laparoscopy with chromotubation is a definitive method of diagnosis.

3) Endometrial biopsy to be done to rule out infections like tuberculosis & appropriate treatment to be taken.

Most of options are surgical management.

1) Hysteroscopic cannulation of fallopian tubes: Under Hysteroscopy guidance a guide wire can be passed through uterus and fallopian tubes can be opened.

2) Laparoscopy: Laparoscopy can be used for recanalisation (reopening)of the blocked fallopian tubes after checking the site of block and using microsurgical techniques.

3) Laparotomy: Tubal recanalisation can also done by opening up the abdomen and rejoining tubes. The technique involves Micro surgical techniques generally done by infertility specialist.

I hope I answered your queries. If any more queries you have, please let me know. If no more queries, please accept my answer.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist