Diagnosed with Venous Incontinence, liquid is leaking from open wound. How serious is the problem?

General Surgeon
my son recently went to the ER and was diagnosed with Venous Incontinence. Liquid (lymph?) is leaking form an open wound in his lower leg. Years ago he was diagnosed with Venous Insufficiency. Now it's gone to the next step. How serious is this problem? Is it urgent? Can he lose his leg? What about vein stripping? Is that a good thing? He has NO money for medical care and that's why he didn't take care of this earlier. Any suggestions? I am extremely concerned. I CANNOT AGREE TO THE TERMS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW W HAT THEY ARE.
XXXXXXX Vitorovich
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Venous incontinence and insufficiency is a chronic disease of veins which develops for many years. Overweight, lack of physical activity, long standing are the main factors of its development.
The main problem with veins is that blood needs to flow against the gravity to reach the heart. This is a very hard work. That is why veins has valves. Valves prevent blood from receding. Calf muscle helps pump the blood.
When the valves get destroyed, blood can not flow freely and remains in the veins. This causes veins insufficiency, increases blood pressure in the veins and can cause tissues swelling and skin changes like wounds or ulcers. Skin gets thin and any wound in such area is hard to treat.

The liquid you have noticed is not a lymph. This is a regular wound fluid. This condition is generally not urgent. It last for years and nothing will change in a day or two (except veins thrombosis - if he has swollen, painful and hard calf, this can be urgent).

Stripping is a very good idea. It can help heal the wound and improve legs condition. He should definitely visit general surgeon, have Dopplers veins ultrasound and get surgery done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Venous Incontinence, liquid is leaking from open wound. How serious is the problem? 7 hours later
I talked with my son just now and he will not give me the diagnosis because he said he doesn't want me to freak out and check the internet and see the horrible pictures. But he said the condition was very serious. He's waiting to see the doctor on Thursday. He said the vein had failed altogether, it was not working at all and some kind of fluid is leaking, creating blisters and not drying out. But after keeping it elevated, washing and dressing the wound, it appears somewhat better and has "clotted". Is there any more information you can give me about this condition that would be helpful as I still need to know. His father and I will probably be asked to foot the XXXXXXX anyway. I would appreciate any insight. THank you.
XXXXXXX Vitorovich
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Well, from your description this is a typical venous insufficiency wound. Like I have said before, it is hard to treat as veins do not work property.
When someone does not take care about such wound it can look really horrible due to infection and pus accumulation.
He needs to take care about his legs as well as his health. Taking care of this wound will improve it and should not give any complications.

Hope this will help.