Diagnosed with PCOS. Have hair growth on face and legs and insulin resistance. Am I having cancer?

HI..I go by the screen name of Lippy Loo...This is my very first post and the first time on the HealthBoards site...I was diagnosed with PCOS in the year 2000...Had all of the classic symptoms since 9th grade; sporadic or no periods for months, excessive hair growth on face and legs, insulin resistance and the worst of all "infertility"...I am on marriage number 2 and I am 38 yrs old....My problem now is, in 2010 I had a pap smear ( the first abnormal pap smear in my life )...Tested positive for HPV and was totally devatstated...However, I received a second opinion from a doctor whom I had a very good relationship with ( the one who diagnosed me with PCOS back in 2000) and he took the same test and said I was fine and almost guaranteed me that I would not get cervical cancer....To make a long story short, for the past 3 weeks after 4 months without a period, I have been bleeding excessively...Even in the past, when I go for long periods of time without menstruating, my average period has only lasted 5 to 6 days ( it has now been 22 days )..There is some clotting and I bleed even when I pee, which really alarms me. I've scared myself with the stuff I read on the internet, cervical cancer,bladder cancer, uterine cancer, etc. I am 38 yrs old & happily married, no children ( cant have any unless I have IVF )...I have a very supportive spouse who loves me unconditionally and I thank God that he has a son from a previous relationship....Please help me..I am afraid to go to the doctor because of fear of what he or she might say...I have so much to live for right now and would just "perish" if I was told I have cancer....The blood is scaring me tremendously...Nobody else knows this but my husband and he says I am over-reacting and that all of this is just due to my PCOS and hormonal imbalance....Any advice ?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

First of all please relax. There are many reasons for abnormal periods lasting this much long apart from any form of cancer.

The commonest possibility seems to be in your case is some form of hormonal imbalance. But for anything diagnosis and treatment is must.

Please do not ignore. Continuous bleeding will lead fall in your haemoglobin and other problems. You must see doctor and get your self examined. Your doctor after examination will advise some investigation like ultrasound to have proper diagnosis.

It is important to stop this ongoing period or else your general health will also be affected.

Abnormal period is just one of the symptoms of cervical cancer; it is not the only symptom. Just by having abnormal period one can not label herself as suffering from any form of cancer.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Please visit a gynaecologist at the earliest.