Diagnosed with PCOD. On glycomet 850mg. Feeling hungry and tired. Scared of gaining weight

hi doc.. i am XXXXXXX from bangalore, recently being diagnosed with PCOD.. doctor has prescribed me Glycomet 850mg and half an hour of walk, after taking this tablet i feel very much hungry and tired.. I am 28 years old and weighing around 77 kg. I am scared of gaining more weight because of increase intake. Please help me out… looking forward to your advice..
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Polycystic ovarian disease (ovary-syndrome/0000" >PCOD) is very common cause of irregular menstruation.
It is a condition where in there are multiple small cysts in the ovary with hormonal imbalance. This hormonal imbalance leads to acne, irregular periods, excess facial and body hair with inability to conceive (infertility). Obesity perpetuates the problem.
The treatment of PCOD depends on the main problem with which patient presents with. You have not mentioned in your history but I presume its excess weight which made you see a doctor.
Weight reduction is the first and the most important step in the treatment of PCOD. Weight loss improves insulin resistance and also regularizes periods.
Glycomet is metformin and is used to treat the insulin resistance which is associated with PCOD. High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods and weight gain. Metformin is a useful medication in PCOD patients as it helps to improve fertility, reduce miscarriages and gestational diabetes, and reduce long-term health problems. You have to continue this medication for minimum of 6 months consistently.
There is no magical diet which can assure 100% weight loss. Good nutrition and regular exercise are the keys to seeing long-term, consistent results. While weight loss may not be dramatic, eating healthy foods and staying active are the best way to maintain good health. It certainly is beneficial to cut back on simple, or white, carbohydrates like white sugar, rice, potatoes and pasta. However, adding in complex grains and carbohydrates do contribute many important health benefits like fiber and antioxidants. At the same time avoid chocolates, carbonated drinks and all forms of junk food which provide empty calories. Take small frequent meals with plenty of fluids.
Combine aerobic exercise, such as walking, swimming and dancing with a healthy diet.
If you have menstrual problems, Oral contraceptive pills are a good choice in case you do not desire pregnancy. Infertility associated with PCOD is treated with ovulation induction drugs. So treatment depends on the presenting symptom.
But in all presentations weight loss is the key to treatment. Losing only up to 10% body weight helps in PCOD.

Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD. On glycomet 850mg. Feeling hungry and tired. Scared of gaining weight 41 hours later
one of my friend told me that, if i don't exercise when i am taking this tablet then i will be gaining more weight.... is it true ? i wanted to ask you what fruits i need to avoid ? Sometimes i get pain in my abdomen why is that ?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
There is no magical diet which can assure 100% weight loss. Diet regulation just helps in avoiding further weight gain and utilizing some of the excess body fat for requirements. Exercise is a must to ensure proper weight loss. Healthy diet with regular exercise would help in you losing weight thereby correcting the hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance associated with PCOS.
Glycomet(Metformin) lowers insulin resistance. It increases the sensitivity of the liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin produced by the pancreas. This helps to lower the blood sugar levels. All this helps in weight loss. Weight gain is not a side effect of Glycomet . If you do not exercise its natural for you to gain weight as your appetite remains the same which is generally more than the body requirements in overweight people. You cannot cut short on your appetite completely. So exercise is important to utilize the calories you are consuming as well as to burn out the excess fat already stored in the body.

Common side effects of glycomet ares diarrhea, nausea and vomiting and some side effects e.g. gas, weakness, indigestion, abdominal (or stomach) discomfort occur rarely.
The abdominal pain you are complaining can be due to side effect of glycomet. The other possibility can be due to pelvic congestion resulting from irregular periods you have. Do not worry. With time, your hormonal balance would improve with glycomet and these problems wont be there.

You can take Citrus fruits.They are very XXXXXXX in vitamin C, contain calcium and iron and are generally low in calories. Eg tangerine,grapefruit,orange, Kiwi. Citrus juices like orange juice however, contain lots of carbohydrate and tend to be higher calorie foods so avoid them.
Berries are also a good choice and quite low in calories. Eg. strawberries.
Apples are also healthy and low in calories. Consume apples with the peel intact since it contains lots of healthy fiber.
Add XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to your diet like broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts,Cucumber. They all are low in calorie.
Do not skip meals. Its not the correct way of losing weight and does not help you in anyway. Regulate your diet with healthy foods to avoid weight gain.
I hope I have answered your query.