Diagnosed with PCOD. Need to lose weight. Suggest diet plan

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Dr,I have been diagnosed as having Polycystic Ovarian Disease. I need to lose weight.Age 22,Female,Weight 85kg, Height 165cm. But It's always been a tough thing. I need to Lose weight. Please suggest me diet plan. I am a pure vegetarian. No consumption of egg. Please suggest me a complete diet plan. Thank you very much.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Weight
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

High body weight is often associated with Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD). PCOD, as you would know is the result of hormonal imbalance. The increase in weight is also partly associated with this imbalance in the hormone levels. By reducing weight you can correct the symptoms to a certain extent. But at the same time, losing weight with PCOD would not be easy if the diet and physical activities are not taken seriously.

To help overcome the problem of weight, you need to make the following changes in the diet and eating pattern:
•     Reduce the total calorie intake: pay attention to the complex and insoluble fibres. These do not provide any calories but add bulk to the diet, making you feel full while consuming lesser calories. Including the simple carbohydrates like sugar, juices, ice-cream etc., would increase the total calorie intake hence adding extra kilograms to your weight.
•     Prefer the unsaturated fats, like vegetable oils and its preparations. The saturated fats have a higher calorific value and are not good for the heart also.
•     Avoid the full cream dairy products like cream, white butter and also the full cream milk. Low fat dairy should be preferred and if possible include the soy milk and its products in your diet.
•     Include lot vegetables in the daily diet. The fibre XXXXXXX vegetables like, spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, beetroot etc., should be regularly taken. Fruits are also equally important, but avoid the carbohydrate XXXXXXX fruits like Mango, Banana, Grapes, Custard XXXXXXX Sapota, Avocado and Watermelon. These fruits provide more calories to the diet.
•     Increase the fluid intake. Consuming approximately 2.5 to 3 litre of water every day would help you manage the weight. You may include fluids like sugarless lemon juice, tender coconut water, fresh soups and green tea. Green tea contains a lot of antioxidants which improves metabolism.
•     Limit the intake of caffeine in your diet. Excess of tea and coffee are not advisable. Exchange these drinks with the healthier drinks like soup and barley water. Avoid the carbonated beverages.
•     Too much refined foods like refined flour and strained fruit juices lack the essential fibre and are XXXXXXX in calories. These foods are not allowed while aiming at weight loss. Make sure that you include rice only once in a day, preferably for lunch.
•     Including the foods like whole grains, beans, pulses, chickpea, kidney beans is advisable as these are XXXXXXX in proteins. Proteins from plant sources are better than animal source.
•     Being a vegetarian, you should make sure that your protein requirements are sufficiently met. For achieving this, include at least 2 portions of the protein XXXXXXX foods in your diet.
•     It’s advisable that you also keep a check on the foods that contain additives and preservatives. Reduce the consumption of packed savouries and other foods like cookies and bakery items.
•     Never skip meals. Rather have small and frequent meals. Emphasize on the breakfast, never skip it and aim at a light dinner. You may include a glass of skimmed buttermilk to your dinner. And make sure that your meals have plenty of salads and whole grains.

Make healthy lifestyle changes, apart from diet a balanced physical activity routine also helps you in achieving the weight loss target. Brisk walk for 45 minutes at least 4 times a week gives good weight loss results. Other forms of activities like playing badminton or swimming are also effective. Focus on the localized body fat, especially around the waist and thigh. Try sit-ups, squats and abdominal crunches to shed the localized fat. Practice deep breathing exercises to boot the metabolism

Hope this would help. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD. Need to lose weight. Suggest diet plan 16 days later
Doctor, Can you prescribe a diet plan for me? The thing is I'm vegetarian, I need a low carb diet but Im not sure how am I suppose to go with. I'm student, with moderate activity. I need a proper low carb veg diet plan. Hope you can help me in this. Thank you.
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 38 hours later

Here is your sample plan:

Early Morning:
Green tea (sugar less) – 1 glass

Breakfast: Non fried preparations like:
Whole wheat bread without butter – 2 slices
Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Sevian/ upma - 1 cup
Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup
Cornflakes with skimmed milk (less sugar) – 1 cup
Stuffed chapatti (2 no.) with dry vegetable – 1 katori

Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate XXXXXXX fruits like mango, sapota, grapes, banana, custard XXXXXXX and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes)

2 chapatti + sabji 1 katori + boiled brown rice ½ katori + dal – 1 katori + salad 1 katori + 1 glass thin butter milk or 1 katori skimmed curd.

Evening Snacks:
Tea / Coffee (less or no sugar) + high fiber bis. OR Sprouts / roasted channa 1 katori

2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.

Start your meals with salads and buttermilk, and stop eating when you are just full.
Avoid snacking in between. Choose from a variety of vegetables and fruits; avoid potato, colocasia, yam and sweet potato. Consume 2.5 to 3 liter water and other fluids like lemon juice, fresh soup and tender coconut water.

You are also advised to include regular physical exercises in your daily routine. A brisk walk every day for 45 min. is recommended for quick weight loss. You may also try other activities like, skipping, swimming and playing badminton etc.

Hope this would be helpful.