Diagnosed with Hep C, Genome 1a. Blood work showed Feto Protein Tumor. What does it mean?

I've recently been diagnosed with Hep C, Genome 1a, however, in my blood work it it showing A FETO PROTEIN,TUMOR. My level is 365.0. I cannot see my doctor for couple weeks and I'm very concerned with this result and what it means. Can you help me?
I have the lab results if you need them I can try and scan & upload them and hopefully it will come thru. What do you think?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

For Hepatitis C do a viral load(Quantity of virus in the blood).

In the long run it may cause liver cirrhosis, liver cancer and liver failure.

Vaccinate against other viruses like Hepatitis A and B.

Take antivirals for the treatment of Hepatitis C.

In a nonpregnant woman elevated Alpha fetoprotein indicates

1. Chronic Hepatitis B infection.

2. Liver cirrhosis.

3. Cancerous conditions in liver, ovaries, stomach and pancreas.

4. Hodgkin's disease.

5. Lymphoma

6. brain tumor

7. Renal cell carcinoma.

You need to consult your doctor and undergo necessary evaluation to rule out any of the above conditions.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hep C, Genome 1a. Blood work showed Feto Protein Tumor. What does it mean? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. You mentioned that the elevated alpha fetoprotein could indicated those conditions you listed but should I be concerned about having any of those conditions listed? Does it mean I DO have one of those listed and if so, is it something that can be treated or cured? Thanks again for your help on this for me.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 54 minutes later

Alpha Fetoprotein is not present in Men and nonpregnant women.

Because it is produced by the maturing liver of the fetus in a pregnant women.

If Alpha fetoprotein is present in nonpregnant women then it is indicative of the above mentioned conditions.

In your case it may be related to your Hepatitis C infection and liver associated pathologies.

Treatment and prognosis depends on the diagnosis of the disease condition associated with production of alpha fetoprotein.

You need to seek medical help.