Diagnosed as fatty liver and consuming liquor. Need advise

Question
Hi Doctor

I've fatty liver which was diagnosed almost 4 years back.
I would like to know whether it's reversible.
I use to consume 3 pegs of hard liquor a week.
because of my tight schedule I sleep very less and has lot of stress.
Seek your advise.

XXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fatty liver

Detailed Answer:

Delighted to be able to help.

Fatty liver is a chronic pathology but with medical advice, liver lesions are minor and there is not complications.The main causes of fatty liver are overweight-obesity, chronic alcohol consumption and high blood cholesterol levels.

Consequently, a person with fatty liver must control your weight, avoid alcohol, reduce the consumption of fatty foods and practice physical exercise.

If a person with fatty liver drinks alcohol may appear liver cirrhosis (fatty liver serious complication).If you follow the recommendations mentioned and your doctor checks your cholesterol, GOT and GPT levels in blood every 6 months,probably you will avoid complications of Fatty Liver.

I Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diagnosed as fatty liver and consuming liquor. Need advise 7 hours later
How can I check the current status of the liver?
is there a way to reverse the fatty liver?
I have blood cholesterol (total 250) and I did't take any medicine till now.

Thank you.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fatty Liver Check

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
Your Doctor must check your cholesterol, GOT and GPT levels in blood every six months, even, if he deems it appropriate, may request an abdominal ultrasound.
Reverse fatty liver is very difficult because is a cronic pathology but the important is avoid complications with right diet and physical exercise.
About total cholesterol(250) is not worrisome but if in 3 months with diet and exercise does not decrease may be necessary to take drugs to lower cholesterol levels.
I Hope I have answered your query.If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and , please ,don’t forget to evaluate my answer.
I wish you good health.