Diabetic and suffers from arthritis. Treated with oxygen for low RBC. Is it due to methotrexate?

Hi my wife is a diabetic and also suffers from arthritis amongst other complaints. She is at present in hospital and being treated with oxygen as she has a very low red cell blood count. without the oxygen she becomes very weak and collapses my daughter and myself think she has damaged her capacity to produce red blood cells through taking Methotrexate .Can this (if this if it the problem causing her to fall ) be corrected and how?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You and your daughter are correct in believing that it might be possible that the methotrexate may have contributed to her anemia.

One of the potential side effects of methotrexate is suppression of the bone marrow where red blood cells as wells as platelets and white cells, are produced.

In this case, there would most likely be a decrease in her white cell and platelet count as well.

If the anemia is related to the methotrexate then your mother may benefit from a medication called leucovorin. This is given to help persons experiencing harmful effects from methotrexate. It is similar to folic acid and helps the body to rebuild new cells.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions