Diabetic. What causes eye pain while seeing light and inability to open eyes in day light?

Hi I am 30 yrs old. I have diabetes for the past 17 yrs. For the past two days, I have pain in my right eye whenever I see light. Even I am unable to open my right in normal day light. Pain increases during night time if direct light falls into my eye. What may be the reason behind this? Thanks XXXXX
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diabetic retinopathy. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. We doctor call it a Diabetic retinopathy. This is diabetic related microvascular(small blood vessel) complication of the eye due to long standing diabetes. This happens due to persistent hyper and hypoglycemia. In this condition bleeding and damage happens in the retina layers of the eye. Light sensitivity may be followed by gradual loss of vision. I would advise my patient to have a tight blood sugar control. Avoid hypoglycemic state because the lack of oxygen to the retina makes the condition worsen faster. Insulin therapy to control the blood sugar. Consult an eye specialist and me will perform an retinal angiography by injecting a XXXXXXX through the veins in your arm and assess the damage in the retina by taking serial photos. Laser coagulation of the bleeding spots in the retina is the treatment. It is a non invasive procedure. Seek medical help as soon as possible. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.