Diabetic. On s-amlodipine and clinidipine. Will it be safe to take telma and cilnidipine?

Presenly i am taking 2.5 mg of S(-) amlodipine and 50 mg losartus 2 times a day for last more than 15 years. I am 56 years of age my B.P. is almost under control. I am diabetic too and on mmedicine. Should i switch over to Telma and 10 mg of Cilnidipine since they are more advance.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 52 minutes later

You are taking 2 different drugs - each from a different class.

S-Amlodipine and clinidipine are both calcium antagonists (CCB). Similarly Losartan and telmisartan are both Angiotensin II Receptor antagonists (ARB). Therefore if your blood pressure is well controlled, there is NO NEED TO CHANGE...

It is mostly the class effects of the drugs that count in their action - of course, individual differences are there in duration of action, absorption, dose, price and so on - but not dramatic...
Besides that 'New' does not always mean ‘better’; sometimes 'old is gold' - they have had post marketing surveillance, better than the new

To sum up, there is no need to change.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck