Diabetic. After taking medication blood sugar level showed 500. What's wrong?

my mother is a diabetic patient and recently got admitted to hospital. When got admitted sugar level was 400. I am from India Bangalore. she is suggested to take insulin 2 times a day from day before yeterday and even after taking all medicine today we checked her blood sugar level at homeusing digital blood ugar monitor meter but its showing abnormal reading 500. he i perfect and i felt prob with the digital meter. whats your thought doctor. suggest me pls.

after taking all medication it requires really cant understand why it is showing this much reading?
tazloc i the bp tablet and she uses advanced insulin pens
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
I suggest you to retake the blood sugar level once again. You should not keep quite thinking it to be a wrong reading. Instead change it and retest. If it is still high get a Random Blood sugar from local lab.
It appears your mother is getting high sugar inspite of
Insulin. There may be many causes for that
(1) missing a dose of diabetic medication.
(2)Eating more carbohydrate than her body or medications can cope.
(3)Having mental or emotional strain eg Anxiety
(4) Contacting an Infection
Rise of blood sugar if stays longer time it will lead to long term complication eg diabetic retinopathy(Eye complication), diabetic nephropathy
(kidney complication) circulation problem and so on.
If blood sugar level rise and stays dangerously high may lead to immediate
complications like diabetic ketoacidosis, hyperosmolar hyperglycemic non ketoacidosis syndrome. (Diabetic coma)
If her sugar is not contolled with Insulin I would strongly advise to admit her in hospital in diabetic unit to stabilise blood sugar.
Kindest regards
Follow-up: Diabetic. After taking medication blood sugar level showed 500. What's wrong? 5 hours later
Thank you doctor for the quick reply. but we have admitted her 3 days back and she got discharged after taking all proper medications. so i wonder how it got increased to abnormal level. ure we will check it again doctor. would you suggest star health insurance one policy specially covers diabetic illness? so that i can cut off on hospital charges. can we take this policy please suggest us doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

I understand your concern. I think you should check her blood sugar again.
If fasting blood sugar is still raised, you should take her to hospital.

I am sorry, I am practicing medicine in the UK, where each District General Hospital has got
Diabetic unit, where people get free treatment. I feel you should have a word wih your doctor about
insurance policy.

Kindest regards
Follow-up: Diabetic. After taking medication blood sugar level showed 500. What's wrong? 33 minutes later
Thank Doctor you again for your valuable suggestion. we have checked before taking breakfast and it showed 400. so now we are taking her to hospital. hope change of medicine will decrease the blood sugar level.And Dear Doctor is their any advanced medicine to bring sugar level normal in UK? and is it available in Bangalore, India? or is their any way to keep it control.

We are pure vegetarians and my mom wont consume rice much only broken whet rice she consumes twice a day. Any medicine to cure diabetes completely from the root?
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 30 minutes later

First of all I must say that Diabetes is not a disease, it is metabolic disorder. Unfortunately, there is no medication available which will totally cure diabetes. I am sure the medications which are used in UK will be available in India as well. The person who is on medications for diabetes should have adequate diet, to prevent blood sugar being too low. The diabetologist will give her advise on diet.

I am sure she will be fine once the blood sugar levels are controlled

Kindest regards Dr SKMukherjee