Diabetes. Treated with insulin and metformin. Taking Victoza, having diarrhea. Continue?

I have type 11 diabetes & am treated with insulin & metformin. I've been on Victoza now for 2 weeks - Ist week on .6, the on 1.2. This week I have had diarrhoea on eating. Can only tolerate liquids. Had 1 hpyo. Should I stop the Victoza?
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 1 hour later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

The gastrointestinal symptoms are usually associated with initiation of Victoza, which also are dose dependent. After consulting/informing your physician, you can reduce the dose of Victoza back to 0.6 and can think of increasing it later, gradually.

If you experience frequent hypos, you can reduce the dose of insulin instead of stopping Victoza.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Diabetes. Treated with insulin and metformin. Taking Victoza, having diarrhea. Continue? 21 hours later
Its not that easy to increase Victoza gradually as the doses are .6 & 1.2 What do you suggest, & are you concerned about the possible side effects of pancreatitis &/or thyroid tumor? Thank you
Hello and thanks again,

By gradual increase, I mean to continue 0.6 for few weeks and then start again with 1.2. Most people get used to it this way and doesn't experience gastrointestinal symptoms.

Every drug has side effects. Your physician will be the best judge if you have pancreatitis or thyroid pathology. Having said that, these are very rare side effects and if I were your physician, I wouldn't really bother about them - I'd just keep a watch and continue with Victoza / Insulin / Metformin combination.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful to you. Hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if I have missed out on any more of your concerns.

Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.