Developed sticky mucous coming from nose. Giving amoxycillin. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Question
my daughter is two years and 2 months old. she eats all foods. she is active. suddenly she has developed sticky mucous coming from her nose. its been there for over a month. mucous was thin and transparent in the beginning.then it became yellow. now it still persists after giving amoxycillin too. we ve given T minic , lynctus too. the mucous is sticky and long. pl let us know what to do?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Saline nasal drops such as Nasomist or Nasoclear will help clear the nostrils.

2. Nasal discharge turning yellow or greenish after adequate antibiotics and medication probably means that the cold is healing.

3. Nasal decongestants and anti-allergic medications are usually avoided in infants unless there is difficulty in feeding as infants breathe only through the nose and not the mouth during the first few months. Cough is a protective reflex for the airway and hence is not suppressed in infants.

4. Let her pediatrician examine and decide any further medication. the nasal discharge may be cultured. If the nasal discharge is from one side, a foreign body must be ruled out by an ENT Specialist.

5. Keep her hydrated with extra feeds and try to keep the room air humidified.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Developed sticky mucous coming from nose. Giving amoxycillin. What should I do? 1 hour later
she snores very loudly. she drinks milk from a sipper during the night.has it got anything to do with this mucous dis charge?. she gets the mucous from both the nostrils. i also want to know could it be an allergy due to pollen or dust?. cos our house is surrounded by plants and is close to a road.she gets cold very often but this time it persists for long and the mucous is sticky and long. pl give me further guideline on this. i am a little anxious over her health. please help.she had the course of medicines after her throat had an infection. now her throat is clear but the mucous persists. please tell me what to do? thanks doctor.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. Infants breathe only through the nose. Snoring loudly means that she is has nasal obstruction which is interfering with her feeds. You may gently suck out the mucus with an Infant nasal bulb syringe. You may use a pediatric nasal decongestant drop such as Otrinoz Pediatric (Xylometazole and Sorbitol) 0.05% but only under the supervision of your doctor and only once in a while. Get her ears checked by an ENT Specialist.

2. There is no cure for allergy. It may only be controlled. The most important measure is avoidance. The only way to establish this is if you can shift elsewhere for a few days and observe the difference.

3. Some infants tend to sneeze a lot but that is not worrisome. Give some time for the symptoms to subside. Use the saline nasal drops and nasal syringe first. Most upper respiratory tract infections are viral and take time to heal. As long as there is no fever and breathlessness, there is no cause for worry.

Regards.