Developed itching all over body. Tested negative for allergy. Which specialist should I consult?

concerned about 26 yo daughter ate orange roughy fish 3x day since march, training for a bikini fitness show, took various supplements, no steroids.. developed and still has all over body itching.. looks like german measles.. was hives/ patchy skin/leathery/whhite bumps.. she was tested for any allergies..negative.. no scabies.. not lupus.just ad blood drawn again.. maybe looking for mercury poising.. 2 ER visits, just gave sleeping pills and told her to see dermatologist.. saw 2 and skin scrape showed no parasites.. 2 XXXXXXX drs.. no one knows..she is sufferig and always itching.. not on face yet,,just back,legs chest arms, feet.hands... been 2 there a specialist to seek out? a test for mercury poisoning? severe itching and no relief ..its re: my 26 yo daughter...thankyou
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 13 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Generalised itching has many a causes like allergy, urticaria, diabetes, thyroid disorders, parasite infections etc. Your daughter is allergic to sulphur. Therefore you have to exclude possible sources of sulphur. You have told allergic tests have been done but didn't mention which test has been done. I suggest to go for serum specific IgE estimation if not done yet.

Again german measles donot present with itching and rash only. There will be malaise, fever, bodyache at the start of illness. I think chance of german measles is rare here.

You need to exclude the systemic diseases which i have already mentioned for generalised itching.

Acute mercury poisoning can be detected by measuring mercury levels in the blood; this test is usually done in a specialized laboratory. A normal mercury level is less than 10 µg/L (micrograms/liter) and less than 20µg/L in urine. Higher levels suggest toxic exposure. Besides that there is also urinary mercury test kit available in the market and you can do it in home.

Consult a dermatologist and take his opinion.

If you have further queries don't hesitate to write back to me.

Dr Arnab Maji
Follow-up: Developed itching all over body. Tested negative for allergy. Which specialist should I consult? 12 hours later
she's seen 2 scrapings.. were done.. no answers from them..can eating too much orange rouhy fish cause a reaction like hives/itching/scabs from scratching.. burning skin from water... due to a toxity from mercury poisoning? she has stopped eating fish.. stopped all supplements.. her chiropractor thinks she has mercury poisoning in her large intestine.... should she go to a gastro? the dermatologists are not helping.. need to move on to another specialty..
she was training for a bodybuilding bikini fitness show since march.. had to eat a strict diet...
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

As dermatologist failed to help I think this is more of a manifestation of a systemic disease like allergic manifestation, poisoning or other associated systemic diseases like diabetes, thyroid problems or parasitic infection.

Yes you may consult gastroenterologist because there is a chance of mercury poisoning from that fish consumption. Mercury poisoning has a varied presentaion. She would have some gastro-intestinal symptoms in acute marcury poisoning. Though itching is rare but may occur. I have already mentioned two tests which you can do in your home by using readymade kit. Again specific allergic tests should be done and this time also you didn't mention the details about the allergy tests.

Hope I have answered you. If you want to know further you may again write back to me. Kindly write a review on my answer.

Wishing your daughter a quick recovery.

Dr Arnab Maji