Depression, loss of apetite, sleeplessness, suicidal feelings, drinking and smoking. Are there medications to reduce depression?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi I think i am suffering from depression. I have been feeling this since the last 6-7 years. At times it gets really bad. Of late I have started to cut my self to relieve the depression. I generally make razor cuts on my forehand. The major symptoms that i can identify are lack of interest or motivation in life, feeling of worthlessness, always feeling down, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, suicidal feelings etc. Recently I have also taken to regular drinking and smoking to relieve stress. I feel no interest in the company of family or friends anymore. I cannot relate to anyone. This has been there for a long time, but has only increased with time. I try to find different activities or hobbies but can never continue them because i see them as pointless. I also frequently exercise and go out, but it doesnt help. I have never taken a medication for depression but now it really feels as if things are getting out of hand. I have mood swings and often react aggressively (only verbally) with family and friends. I am basically a loner with very few friends, and although i sometimes want to be with friends, but my mental state does not allow me to do that. I get defensive very easily, and cannot maintain a healthy relationship with anyone. I have tried listening to music to calm me, but the only music i enjoy are dark, black metal, depressive rock, which again sinks me down further. I was involved in two failed relationships in the past (one in the not so recent past). These relationships hurt me like hell. All the waking time i have thoughts running in my head about being not good enough. Its that I dont have the motivation to make any change. Please dont advice me to go out and XXXXXXX people, make friends, etc. because i have tried a lot, but such attempts have made me realize i am not good enough. All my friends ignore me. Please let me if any medications can help reduce my depression. Also please advice something to help me sleep.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later

It is nice to see such a nice and precise description of your current suffering. From your detail history, it is clear that you have following symptoms:

•     Low mood, lack of motivation in life, feeling of worthlessness, always feeling down
•     Loss of interest in previous pleasurable activities (anhedonia)
•     Tiredness
•     Decrease appetite, sleeplessness
•     Loss of confidence
•     Ideas of hopelessness
•     Self harm ideas (suicidal feelings), making cut with razor
•     Drinking and smoking to relieve stress

All these are symptoms of depression and need attention.
Apart from that concurrently you are drinking and smoking excessively which can exacerbate your depression. Depression is not always situational (because of stress). Many times it is biological due to biochemical changes in brain. Such Depression does not improve by exercise or guidance or lifestyle modifications only but all these measures help in recovery with medicines. Your depression appears to biological to me due to its severity.

Depression occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You need treatment with psychiatrist urgently to treat your depression.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety symptoms benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. We can not write drug name directly because of ethical reasons and treatment is highly individualized.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Depression, loss of apetite, sleeplessness, suicidal feelings, drinking and smoking. Are there medications to reduce depression? 2 hours later

Thanks for the response. I would like to tell you that I do take health diets and try to get some exercise as suggested by you. My concern is my that these things are not helping much. I am afraid I am ruining my relationships with everyone and harming myself a lot in the process. Do you think I should seek professional help immediatly? Also please let me know if there are long long term side effects of such medications? Finally, do you know of any consultant you can refer to?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 24 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

As mentioned in primary reply: Your complaints are symptoms of depression and need attention. Apart from that concurrently you are drinking and smoking excessively which can exacerbate your depression. Depression is not always situational (because of stress). Many times it is biological due to biochemical changes in brain. Such Depression does not improve by exercise or guidance or lifestyle modifications only but all these measures help in recovery with medicines. Your depression appears to biological to me due to its severity.

Medicines come in market when they have more effects compare to side effects. Side effects are not apparent in every patient.

In my opinion you definitely need professional help. You can visit any nearby psychiatrist as soon as possible. As you are in Gurgaon you can visit me too after taking my detail from my WWW.WWWW.WW profile.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.