Depression causing loss of focus, have inferiority complex due to looks. How can I overcome this?

Jun 2013
I think am suffering form mental and emotional depression.This is happening for a long time now.As a result am not being able to concentrate on anything ,m losing focus and m unable to enjoy my life.You know i suffer from inferiority compplex.I think I am a loser.I am 24 and i dont vene have a gf.I feel so lonely.I see couples hanging out and that makes me fyl bad.Makes me feel helpless.I feel bad when a frnd of mine talks abt some ther guy beng gud lukn.I feel that m not gud as him.I feel so down when gals luk at sme ther guy and not me.All this keeps nplaying in my mind and i get mellow.I feel upset and down.I feel i will alwys be alone. knwo this stems form a feeling of inferiority complex.Can you tell me how to overcome this?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 7 hours later
Hi there ~

I understand your concern. The feeling of the future being uncertain and losing control can be very unnerving for some people and unfortunately it has been so for you. Poor concentration and anhedonia or loss of enjoyment are parts of this illness. Low self esteem is also a part of depression. This probably helped get your anxiety levels up quite a bit. Unfortunately, your anxiety is causing you to focus on the negative aspect of the problems you are having to face and feel like you have the disease itself. The overwhelming feeling of feeling frustrated, helpless and hopeless along with lack of interest known as anhedonia and feeling bad or depressed with difficulties in appetite and sleep is a symptom cluster of depression. You also have nihilism which actually clinches the diagnosis. I feel like you may benefit from antidepressants and anti anxiety medications. You will benefit from consulting a psychiatrist to help relieve you of all these symptoms. I also believe that keeping a daily routine, avoiding the precipitating agent and also doing regular exercise like yoga and pranayama are going to be extremely helpful. Sometimes psychoeducation about the condition is also helpful. I hope your visit with a psychiatrist will help you get on antidepressant medications that will relieve your anxiety. I hope this helps.

I hope and wish you the very best. I hope this helped relieve your anxiety and get your out of your shell, and am glad you are writing on this forum. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care and have a lovely day!