Dense spots seen in X-ray. Is this a sign of cancer?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter had a chest xray and the doctor called with the results and asked if she had metallic spots on her shirt. She did not, she had a medical gown on. What could the spots mean?
last year at a different pediatrician when she had an xray they said they saw one spot but assumed it was scar tissue from the last time she had pneumonia. I guess my real concern is that it is cancer and it has grown from one spot in a year to a few. Would she have symptoms if it was cancer. Like I said besides the pneumonia she is basically healthy. I mean she is 7- she gets the occasional cold here or there. She also had a raging case of hives with this past case of pneumonia.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

What they are seeing are some dense spots in X-ray.
These can be some calcifications if metallic objects like buttons etc are ruled out as you mention.
If it was one earlier and now more ,she has to be investigated for the cause of this.

However if she has been so well other than her yearly pnumonias,
it will not be something serious like cancers!
She should definitely have some symptoms of cough,fever,weight loss etc.

Please get back to your doctor and discuss with them with the previous X-ray so that they can compare both and see.

Good luck
God bless.

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Dense spots seen in X-ray. Is this a sign of cancer? 17 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. Lately she has had weight loss. We thought it was just because of the pneumonia. We have had a follow up with the doctor for that. She gained a bit back but not much. Maybe once a week she complains of a headache. What would calcification be? I don't know what that means. Could it be Lymphoma?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Calcification means deposits of calcium in the lungs which are seen as white spots in X XXXXXXX
Lymphomas do not present like this usually.
They are mediastinal lesions that is in the center of the chest.
The radiologist doctor who has reported the X-ray will usually give the differential diagnosis also.
In some places tuberculosis is given first consideration for multiple calcifications.

Anyway do not get worried- talk to your doctors - discuss with them.

I hope it is really some artefact ( something not in the baby but from outside) as suspected by them!!,

Good luck
Dr Uma