Delayed periods, negative pregnancy test. On klonopin, stopped BC recently, do a stressful job, use condoms. Factors causing delay?

My period is late by 9 days. I have taken 7 pregnancy tests and they all say negative. I am prescribed klonopin and i drink a lot of Mio energy drinks. I dont exercise and i have had no change in my diet. My job is stressful, but it has never affected my cycle before. I was on birth control for 6.5 yrs and just stopped taking it in march. My cycle was normal last month and i use condoms. My question is ocould these things affect my cycle or am i really pregnant?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 minutes later

To answer your question I need some more information:

1)How were your previous cycles? were they regular, like every month or it used to delay for some time?
2)Since when are you taking Klonopin (Clonazepam), and Mio-energy dring?
3)Why did the doctor prescribed Klonopin?
4)Are you working? If yes, what is your occupation?

Dr Arif

Follow-up: Delayed periods, negative pregnancy test. On klonopin, stopped BC recently, do a stressful job, use condoms. Factors causing delay? 23 minutes later
My cycles have always been regular, but i was on birth control. Ive been on klonopin for about 9 months due to my anxiety. Im a dog groomer. Also, ive been drinking mio for almost a month. Any ideas why my cycle is late?
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 15 minutes later

Thank you for your answering my questions.

Klonopin can cause some amount of irregular cycles, but you should not stop this medication abruptly, as it will cause serious withdrawal effects. Menstrual cycle abnormality is an uncommon occurrence.

There might be other reasons for delayed periods other than pregnancy(which you have already ruled out by doing 7 tests)....
1)Stress, anxiety and loss of excessive weight-Anorexia nervosa/Bulimia features
2)Any thyroid abnormalities----Hypothyroidism (kindly do free T3, T4 and TSH levels)
3)Prolactin abnormalities (do serum prolactin level)
4)LH and FSH ratio--rule out PCOS-poly cystic ovarian syndrome.

Personally I feel, because of stress of being pregnant, you are having delayed periods. Kindly get evaluated by a gynecologist. After ruling out all possibilities, you will be given progesterone tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. If you like my answer, kindly rate my answer and write a review as well.

Thank you,
Wish you good health.

Dr Arif