Delayed periods. Took depo provera injection. No periods after 50 days. Prescribed cyclonorm. Will I have periods?

My daughter got married recently. before one month she was administered depoprovate injection. The doctor told she would be having her periods after 40 days. But, even after 50 days she did not get her periods. Then she left for U.S.A. Now, it is nearly 6 months. But, till date has not her periods. She is expected in Chennai in XXXXXXX this year. Now, on consultation, a D.G.O. Dr. has prescribed cyclonorm E and P tablets each two tablets a day. She says she would be having her periods in 10 days time. I need a second opinion. Pl. help me.

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 1 hour later
Hello Madam.
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Depot Provera is an injectable contraceptive preparation and is also used for various other conditions like dysmennorhea (painful menstruation) and endometriosis. It contains Medroxy Progesterone Acetate (MPA) which will be released slowly over a period of 3 months. As long as the level of MPA is high in blood, bleeding will not occur. Once its level falls it will result in withdrawal bleeding which mimics menstruation.

MPA injection would have resulted in hormonal imbalance for your daughter and that may be a reason for the delay in her period. MPA injection is not a good contraceptive method in a woman of reproductive age group because it results in prolonged amenorrhea (absence of menstrual cycle) in many persons and also can lead to complete disruption of menstrual pattern. It can also result in weight gain, nausea, head ache and mood swings.

Although MPA can result in amenorrhea, such a long delay in periods is unusual. Many other conditions like Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) or thyroid problems can also cause delayed period. Cyclonorm E and P is a herbal preparation claimed to be useful in regularizing the periods. But before it is taken, the cause of delayed periods should be fully investigated for her and unless causes like PCOD are ruled out, it will not be effective.

Your daughter needs a complete check up first for further evaluation.Grape juice,sugarcane juice, pomegranate, cumin and fenugreek are some substances used to induce menstruation. Iron , vitamin B with zinc supplements will give additional benefit.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.