Delayed periods. Stopped birth control pills. What could be the cause?

I've been in contact with a few doctors on here and would appreciate some advice pertaining to a question.
I've been off birth control for over a year and a half and still haven't gotten back my period, am a bit concerned, what could be the issue? Also, I have had some recent medical information about myself that said that my aborted baby had a heartbeat.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Not having periods for more than 1 year needs thorough evaluation, further it will be helpful to come to a conclusion if you give more information regarding your last abortion. Few common causes which needs to be ruled out are:
1)Thyroid abnormalities- commonly Hypothyroid
2)Hyper-prolactin hormone levels
3)Poly cystic ovarian disease
4)Ashermanns syndrome
5)Rare possibility- Premature ovarian failure

Hence I advise you to get some blood investigations and a scan to rule out these conditions.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.

Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile