Delayed period,bleeding,stomach ache

my name is XXXXXXX and i have a few questions about it. my girlfriend haven't had her period yet, it supposed to be today, but instead she bled this dark blood, and she told me that she had a stomach ache, is this alright? and can this make her feel uncomfortable? angry? change of mood?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Delayed period,bleeding,stomach ache 4 minutes later
this had happened 2 times, i want to know what is that?? what can cause this, and what are the situations? can this also affect a woman's behavior? mood? can the pain make her feel angry??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

The discharge of black and brown blood just prior to the onset of normal bleeding during periods is a normal variation. Passage of brown blood is discharge of old clotted blood.

The symptoms of stomach ache, etc are a part of premenstrual syndrome which are normal. It can be associated with mood changes, irritation,etc. and you need not worry about all these symptoms as these will subside after 2nd or 3rd day of her periods.

The most common mood-related symptoms are irritability, depression, crying, oversensitivity, and mood swings with alternating sadness and anger. The most common physical symptoms are fatigue, bloating, breast tenderness (mastalgia), acne, and appetite changes with food cravings.

General management includes a healthy lifestyle including:exercise, family and friends can provide emotional support during the time of a woman's cycle, avoid salt before the menstrual period, reduce caffeine intake, quite smoking, reduce alcohol intake and reduce intake of refined sugars.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.