Delayed period, abdominal pain, bloating, mood change, pimples, done home pregnancy tests

Hi! I am about 15 days late on my period. I have some pregnancy symptoms such as dull pain in my back and lower abd, pimples, bloating, mood changes and I feel more hungry than usual. However two of my home pregnancy tests were negative. Can I still be pregnant? And if it is not pregnancy what are the other reasons for missing my period?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Missed periods can be due to various reasons other than pregnancy as hormonal changes due to any underlying uterine or ovarian abnormality.

You have mentioned that last month you had taken Plan B which is am emergency contraceptive pill and since it contains high doses of hormones it can cause symptoms as nausea,vomitting,tiredness,headache,abdominal pain etc.The next period can also be delayed by about 10 to 15 days and it may take few cycles for the normal ovulation process to start and have regular periods.

If the pill was taken within 72 hours of intercourse and there was no unprotected sexual contact after the pill intake then chances of pregnancy seem to be remote.

It might be that the periods have been delayed due to pill intake.Wait for a week and if the periods do not start then get a beta Blood HCG test done for pregnancy determination and kindly visit a Gynaecologist for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of any doubt.