Dealing with sleep paralysis. Not able to move after waking up. Have anxiety disorder. Help?

Recently i've been dealing with sleep paralysis. I wake up and i cant move and everything but then i start to get this pain in the side or back of head that keeps getting worse and worse, like a pressure, till i think my head is gonaa explose or die. This lasts ten seconds then i wake up and its gone, sometimes there is a slight ache where the pain was at, is this serious, or normal. I've read that sleep paralysis is caused by poor sleep habits, but the fear of this occuring is keeping me awake. I also have an anxiety disorder. I just wanna make sure this isn't gonna kill me. sometimes it feels like im vibrating
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 43 minutes later

Thanks for the query

sleep paralysis can occur at sleep onset or upon awakening.

It has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea, however, it can also occur in isolation . When linked to another disorder, sleep paralysis is most commonly seen in association with narcolepsy which is a neuromuscular disorder.

Except obstructive sleep apnoea, other conditions mentioned above are not going to kill. But presentation of obstructive sleep apnoea is not same as your presentation. However as because you have asthma, you need to rule out this condition by consulting a pulmonologist.

At the same time, OCD is an anxiety spectrum disorder where panic attacks can occur which can explain to some extent your symptoms (feeling of vibration, headache and pain). In panic attack there is undue fear of death. But, one point against is the intensity of headache that you have.

I am available for further discussions

Wish you a good health
Follow-up: Dealing with sleep paralysis. Not able to move after waking up. Have anxiety disorder. Help? 11 hours later
Alright well do you think the pain could be quick cluster headaches cause I read that they come on hard then go away and leave a slight ache, or do think that it is at all possible that everything Is just a hallucination due to sleep paralysis. Also I be seen things like a muscle tightening up and squeezing a vein or something, let me know what you think and if you have any advice to avoid the situation. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later
Cluster headache may be a possibility. But it would come lower in the possibilities that we discussed earlier.

Cluster headache is associated with lacrymation of one side. I t responds well to lithium. Whereas if it is migraine, which can also be a posibility would respond to propranolol, flunarizine, NSAIDs, Valproate etc.

I would suggest a consultation with psychiatrist and Neurologist

Wish you a pain free life