Dark bruise like spots appeared on back of thigh. Any ideas?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dark bruise like spots on back of thighI recently notice some dark spots on the back of my thigh. At first I just thought they were bruises but then overnight I got a few more. They're not black/blue or yellow brown like normal bruises just almost like a a very XXXXXXX spot and aren't sensitive like a bruise when I touch then. Can't think of anything that has happened to cause them. I went to a walk-in clinic last week when I noticed them because I also didn't feel good (fever,chills,nausea) but they said they didn't know what would cause them. Any idea before I go to my family doctor?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later

An area behind the thigh with spontaneously appearing bruise without any history of trauma is indicative of a bleeding disorder. In bleeding disorder there is a tendency to bruise easily due to an increased fragility of the blood vessels.

Excessive intake of food stuffs like fish oils, ginkgo biloba, ginger or garlic can precipitate such events.

Spontaneous bleeding needs to be investigated with coagulation and bleeding profiles . It is best to see your doctor as soon as possible to avoid further complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Dr Saurabh Gupta