Cyst next to clitoris. Painful and under the skin. What can be done?

I have, what seems to be a cyst, right next to my clitoris. Just noticed it and it is painful. It is pea-sized and under the skin. I can only feel it; cannot see it.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
The causes for a small cyst near the clitoris could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.
Since the cyst is painful, it is likely to be infected and needs antibiotics for treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.