Cracks on hands & legs in cold season

my father is suffering skin related problem in cold season.hand and leg me darar ho jata hai.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 52 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query,
XXXXXXX this is a common problem seen in winters and especially in old age group people.Also seen in people who don't take care of their feet by using a moisturizers frequently or scrubbing it good with a scrubber .This is also sen in patients who often walk bare footed .Other causes are continues exposure to water ,back open sandals, standing for long durations , unhygienic conditions , ill-fitting shoes, naturally dry skin, over weight ,diseases like psoriasis,eczema,thyroid ,diabetes etc.

At home what you can do is first soak the feet in XXXXXXX warm water for about 15 minutes at night .Following this dab it properly and use creams containing salicylic acid or lactic acid (of various concentration) over the affected area.If you see any bleeding over the cracks then do apply a antibiotic cream containing mupirocin for few days over the bleeding points.

Keep these creams over night and in the morning scrub it good with the help of a scrubber. Following this apply a good moisturizing cream at least 4-5 time a day all over the sole.

You can even go for a pedicure at any good parlor.For proper medicines you can consult a dermatologist ,as most of the over the counter creams for this don't work good.

Hope I have answered your query, Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.