Could this "DEPAKOTE " HAVE AN AFFECT ON "HIS" SPERM,

Question
Could this "DEPAKOTE " HAVE AN AFFECT ON "HIS" SPERM, OR TO HAVE HEALTHY CHILDREN ???
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Depakote can affect sperm

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Valproate (Depakote) can have temporary mutagenic effects on sperm when tested in rats. I can't find any studies in humans. Typically, these sorts of things are not tested in humans because of the ethics that would be involved.

Here is a study from 2010 on this topic. It won't "link" when you click on it so copy and paste it into your address bar to read it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/

It concludes that valproate has a reversible mutagenic effect meaning when the rats stopped receiving the valproate, the sperm returned to normal.

Depakote is given for epilepsy, bipolar depression, and other severe disorders. If you are considering having children, you may want to discuss the risks of his going off of the Depakote with the potential risks to the baby. The doctor who prescribes his Depakote can determine,with the patient, whether it would be safe for him to go off of the medication, and can refer him to a doctor who can advise about the specific potential risks to the baby.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Follow-up: Could this "DEPAKOTE " HAVE AN AFFECT ON "HIS" SPERM, 1 hour later
COULD VERSACLOZ AFFECT "HIS" SPERM BY HAVING HEALTHY CHILDREN ?

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
I did some hunting in the literature on Versacloz (clozapine) and could not find information that showed clozapine was mutagenic/caused abnormal sperm.

The FDA had this statement about clozapine in their data base:

"Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility:
No carcinogenic potential was demonstrated in long-term studies in mice and rats at doses approximately 7 times the typical human dose on a mg/kg basis. Fertility in male and female rats was not adversely affected by clozapine. Clozapine did not produce genotoxic or mutagenic effects when assayed in appropriate bacterial and mammalian tests."