Could panic attack cause rapid heart rate?

Hi, On my last doctors visit my heart rate was 110 but it has been around 80 every day since then. I almost have a panic attack when I have to see a doctor. Not a real panic attack but I freak out when I have to see doctors. Could that be the cause of the 110 at the doctors office ?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Panic can increase heart rat. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Panic attacks and anxiety can cause an increase in heart rate and palpitations. The heart rate is usually measured at resting state. Since you have a normal heart rate at home there is no need to worry. This increase in heart rate in doctor's office is called white coat palpitation. This can also be associated with an increase in the blood pressure. Before measuring pulse rate and blood pressure the person should have been resting for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine and colas should be consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL