Could mouth cracking and side bleeding with nose bleeding and dry, flaky eyes be due to Vitamin deficiency?

Dec 2013

My mouth corners are cracking and bleeding and the sides of my nose are also cracking. Sometimes my eyelids are dry and flaky also. Could this be due to a vitamin deficiency or allergy of some type?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: "Ariboflavinosis" or "hyporiboflavinosis" Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the cracking and bleeding of corners of nose and mouth with flaking and dryness of eyelids. You are correct in the diagnosis of deficiency state of vitamins especially vitamin B complex. Your condition is basically known as "Ariboflavinosis" or "hyporiboflavinosis" which is a deficiency of riboflavin in the diet. There are two parts of your problem the one is "Angular cheilitis" and other is “Dyssebacia”. In Angular cheilitis there is a cracking and cuts at the corner of lips. In Dyssebacia there is reddening and accumulation of greasy flaky scales on corner of nose around and over eyelids. If it progresses to very high deficiency then causes magenta colored tongue too. You just check out the same in yourself. A well-balanced diet will prevent riboflavin deficiency; it will also correct the disorder, with the help of supplementary doses of riboflavin and other vitamins. You start with RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2) tablets along with multivitamin tablets once or twice per day after meals. Improve your diet with following: - start with all the milk products. Cheese would be very helpful along with yogurt, and ice cream are also good sources of the vitamin. -Take Dry Roasted Soybeans, Wheat XXXXXXX Sesame Seeds, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Yeast Extract. -Eat green leafy vegetables - If you eat non-vegetarian then can eat Meats, especially liver and kidney, and some are other rich sources. You can apply fulticasone cream over the affected area along with a bland moisturizing creams without any fragrance. Apply it in such a thin layer that it should not be visible by naked eye. Your condition will take few weeks to improve to its best. So have patience and go for best diet. I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good glowing skin" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)