Coughing with clear mucus, wheeze afterwards. Have bronchitis. On inhaler and nasal spray. Worry?

I have been having coughing fits every 3-5 days only once that day. Clear mucus, Throat feels like I need to clear it, so I do and sometimes this starts a coughing fit. Mucus has a metallic taste. Wheeze after coughing fit. wheeze feels like it is coming from the throat and not my chest. Nose starts to run. Ears hurt after coughing fit. On 1-20-12 I went to urgent care as it was after hours, the doc took x rays, was diagnosis with bronchitis. Was prescribed an antibiotics, inhaler, and nasal spray for head congestion, even though I haven't been congested in the head. Inhaler helps the wheezing after 20 Minutes or so. I have had this for about 3 weeks total now.

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Bronchitis is an acute inflammation of the air passages within the lungs. It occurs when the trachea and the large and small bronchi (airways) within the lungs become inflamed because of infection or irritation from other causes.
Bronchitis usually takes about 7-10 days to resolve in patients with no underlying lung disorder. However, a dry hacking cough may persist for months. The chances of an underlying lung disorder are significantly increased in chronic smokers.
For continuous cough, you can try an over the counter medication like Benadryl syrup, 1-2tsp every 4-6 hours along with the medication prescribed to you.
The wheezing you are seeing is most likely due to a reactive narrowing of the airways. For this, you can now try other alternative measures like:

1. Drink plenty of fluids.
2. Inhale steam (preferably with menthol) 2 - 4 times per day.
3. Drinking hot beverages like tea with honey or lemon, soups etc.
4. Use a humidifier in the room.
5. Avoid dusty area, fumes, smoking, alcohol etc.

If the symptoms do not improve or are worsening, I would suggest that you consult your physician again.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.