Coughing with blood, had cold, loose motion, fever, chest pain. Is this serious?

I noticed my first few coughs came up with blood today. But this problem I noticed Friday midnight when I got up suddenly due to cough. Blood is coming like rust and but it is not atleast a spoon.
I observed this problem first time one and half month back when got cold and cough but that time 2 to 3 coughs I observed blood later there were no issues. Suddenly 2 weeks back I was effected with loose motion and that came down with medication then following fever with cold and 102 temperature. Fever was there for 2 days then it came down. Now this week observed Coughing up with blood and now there is a pain in chest due to over coughing. Please let me know is this a serious issue. Any suggestion for medication?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Cough with rusty sputum /blood on and off demands medical attention. Also you have associated fever and chest pain.

2. You need to get your self evaluated with a chest xray and blood counts.

3. I would suggest you to visit a Pulmonologist for detailed evaluation.

4. Meanwhile you may start the following for urgent control of hemoptysis (blood in sputum):

Hemostatic eg: Tb. Ethamsylate (Etosys) 500 mg thrice a day for 3 days
Cough suppressant eg:Sy. linctus codein 2 tsf thrice a day for 3 days

Antibiotic like Tb augmentin duo (amoxicillin + clavulinic acid) 625 mg thrice a day for 7 - 10 days.

Please consult a chest specialist / pulmonologist before initiation of these medicine since you need to get yourself physically examined by a clinician in view of your symptoms.

5. Your symptoms seem to be due to an infective cause.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra