Continuous period, ultrasound showed thickened uterus wall and cyst. Pins and needles in limbs, tongue numbness

Hi and thank you for listening. Im very fatigued and have had a period for 7 weeks straight, had missed 2 months. I stopped 7 days ago and at that time I had a ultrasound which showed a cyst and also thickening of the uterus wall??? I think and they wish for me to have another ultrasound to measure this and want me to have this done in either 4 weeks or if I get a period to have it on the 5th day. So I started to bleed again yesterday very light and booked ultrasound to happen on day 5, but this morning the bleeding has stopped, so now Im not sure if I should be booking this ultrasound for 5th day or leave it for the month. I've also now started experiencing a weird sensation/numbness on top of my tongue and pins n needles type of symptoms in my hands and down my legs. My urine is very strong smelling so Im totally confused as to whats going on, also my lower back is very sore and I've got quiet alot of pain in my right side of neck and down my shoulder???? I feel a nuisance going to Dr again as just been there a few days ago.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

In my opinion, you should skip the ultrasound scan for a month, wait for next 4 weeks and then get it done. You may cancel the current booking for day 5 as I do not think there would be any significant changes in the sonographic findings.

I would like to know the actual thickness of the uterine wall and the details of the cyst. Is it possible for you to upload the report? You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

The other symptoms of altered taste sensation, pins and needles in your limbs suggest a deficiency in the vitamins. You may consider taking nerve supplements like Neurobion forte for a month and check for improvement in your symptoms.

Please drink plenty of fluids orally.

Your lower back is sore because of the problem in your uterus and stretching of the uterine supports and ligaments. The pain in your neck and shoulder seem incidental and not related to your other symptoms.

I am more worried about your uterine pathology. It may be endometriosis or endometrial hyperplasia, which needs to be evaluated further and managed accordingly.

Please let me know about your marital history, number of children and smoking history.

All said; your symptoms might be occurring because of peri-menopausal age or you nearing menopause or a hypoestrogenic state.

I understand that you do not want to visit the doctor again now. You can take symptomatic treatment at home by taking Tylenol as and when required for pain, taking adequate bed rest, drinking plenty of fluids, keeping your mind relaxed, doing moderate physical activity daily for a month.

You may review back with your doctor after a month for both consultation and ultrasound.

Hope this helps you.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Continuous period, ultrasound showed thickened uterus wall and cyst. Pins and needles in limbs, tongue numbness 20 minutes later
Thanks so much Dr.
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the report my Dr has this...
I'm married with 2 boys aged 18yrs and 14yrs. I have never smoked. My first born was normal delivery but difficult a one and 2nd child my pelvis separated at 38weeks so had C-section at age 28yrs and they sterilised me as said my pelvis would not be able to carry any more pregnancy's. I have never suffered with period pain or problems of the sort in all my years and at present lead a very healthy active life in which I workout 5 times a week and also eat an exceptionally good diet (Paleo Diet) with plenty of vitamins and minerals and I also take Vitamin D and Krill Oil, my Iron levels came back good (which I knew as I'm a protein/meat eater) I do recall going through a bout of a missed periods about 18months ago which lasted 3 months then they just came back to normal again. I presumed I was starting menopause early (as I mentioned above I don't usually suffer with any symptoms) But now lately I'm bloating / putting on weight etc. My bladder has also become very weak with the slightest lift/cough/skip etc - I just feel like I'm losing my insides putting it mildly.

Thank you for your time so far

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

I actually was more interested to know the thickness of the uterine lining or the endometrium. Usually a lining of more than 11mm is mostly considered a risk factor for endometrial hyperplasia and it warrants an endometrial biopsy to be done. If the lining is more than 11mm in you, please discuss about this with your treating doctor in your next visit.

Along with this, please get your PAP smear done as well. You do not seem to be at high risk for both endometrial and cervical cancer. It more likely seems a benign problem in you. Your cycles should be normal again soon or it is just that you may reach your menopause soon.

I am glad that you are leading a healthy active life; continue to follow it.

The bloated feeling, increase in weight is due to hormonal imbalance. There may be a simple or first-degree uterine prolapse in you.

My suggestion for you would be - if your symptoms worsen it is better to get your uterus removed (hysterectomy) done.

I wish you recover quickly and lead a healthy life as always.

If you have no more queries to ask, please accept my answer and write a review.