Constant cramps in tibialis anterior. Temporary paralysis due to epidural. Are cramps related to epidural?

Spine Surgeon
I am getting constant cramps in my tibialis anterior, right side only. It is also larger on that side. Could this be related to a complication from a epideral resulting in lower back surgery. The epideral was 3 years ago and resulted in temporary paralysis of that right foot
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
unlikely from epidural block

Detailed Answer:
can uou please tell more about the surgery? What was the surgery done? What was your main problem prior to surgery? Is it resolved now? You said about weakness in foot? Was it foot drop? Recovered?
current cramping in the leg is most likely neurological problem. Was there a neural injury during the surgery? We need to see your current mri and you may need to do EMG/NCV test by a neurologist to diagnose yhe problem. Thanks.
Follow-up: Constant cramps in tibialis anterior. Temporary paralysis due to epidural. Are cramps related to epidural? 29 minutes later
Hi Doctor, thank you
The temporary paralysis was caused by the epidural (for knee replacement surgery) hitting an obstruction due to
stenosis and other spinal issues(previously unknown) I was told that without spinal surgery , this may become permanent. At the time I had foot drop, but no longer. After 3 years my toes are almost fully recovered(paralysis was originally the full leg) If I move that foot a certain way I get a cramp in the tibialis anterior muscle. That muscle also is larger. Is this due to the nerve damage occuring at that time or do you think I should be concerned about another problem?
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be relatrd to the injury

Detailed Answer:
It could be related to the neural injury. I would suggest to consider doing EMG/NCV which will tell us about neural recovery and if there is any other reason for the same. If cramping is a lot yhen you can try buscopan medicine. Thanks.